Monday, May 19, 2008

The 2000 Mile Journey Begins June 28th

Oh what fun it will be to drive across the country with 3 sedated kitties...

I have been contemplating our upcoming travel plans. Dave will be driving the big moving truck with Snowflake as the co-pilot and I will drive my car with Swayze and Dusty as my co-pilots. With some help from Google maps and intention to drive no less than 500 miles/day, I came up with the following tentative plan:

June 28th - Day 1: Syracuse, NY to Dayton, OH (543 miles; 8 hrs 40 min)
June 29th - Day 2: Dayton, OH to Springfield, MO (575 miles; 9 hrs)
June 30th - Day 3: Springfield, MO to Amarillo, TX (544 miles; 8 hrs)
July 1st - Day 4: Amarillo, TX to Albuquerque, NM (287 miles; 4 hrs)


View Larger Map

So, July 1st is our anticipated date of arrival in Albuquerque!! The last day of driving will be somewhat light so that we can arrive with time to upload and set up a place to sleep!

There is much to do between now and then - switch stuff from Syracuse and Troy, garage sale, pack boxes, clean, finish dissertation, play tennis & golf, sleep...

... all good things! I am getting more and more excited about the journey and new adventure in New Mexico!

3 comments:

Rae said...

Did anyone notice how I said we'd have time to "upload" when we get there? My subconscious is leaking...

Dave said...

You are such an ambitious planner my dear!

If the moving van doesn't have cruise control I shall train Snowflake to sleep on the gas pedal. Pedal to the metal, ABQ here we come!

Liz said...

Hey Rae! I'm so excited for you guys and your move! It's so fun to get to start new adventures and new phases of your life! Hooray!!
Just a bit of a friendly heads-up from someone who has done this cross-country in a U-Haul trip a couple of times in the last few years: It would typically take us a little bit longer to cover a certain distance than Google Maps predicted. Just because those big ol' trucks (and a car on a trailer on the back) are veeeerrrryyy ssssslllllloooooowwwwwww. Of course, we never had any cats as our co-pilots, so that may make all the difference! :)
Good luck with the move, Rae!